This 8-hour course is the first of two modules needed to satisfy Maryland's Wear & Carry's 16-hour training requirement. Wear & Carry Day 1 provides students with situational awareness skills, conflict avoidance, and why seconds count in a situation. Throughout the training, you will have the unique opportunity to handle a variety of firearms to ensure you have the best tools for your self-defense plan. You will learn how to master the correct ‘building blocks’ and shooting fundamentals in order to turn correct and consistent practice into ‘muscle memory’. In the classroom, we will spend some time perfecting your grip, stance, trigger control and teach you how to ‘defensively’ draw from the holster. Your instructor will thoroughly explain Maryland firearm laws, transportation, and use of force.
You must have basic handgun knowledge (ex. MD HQL, Utah CFP, Basic Handgun Course) before starting the Wear & Carry Training program. Holster Draw Exercise must be taken before registering for Day 1. See below for a Discount on Holster Draw Exercise Course Fee.
Day 1 Module Objectives:
- Participants will learn how to use situational awareness to maintain safety.
- Participants will understand how using the ‘Color Codes of Awareness’ giving them the advantage in ‘conflict avoidance’.
- Participants will find out if action is faster than reaction and why ‘seconds’ count.
- Participants will acquire the knowledge required to choose a self-defense firearm for his or her defensive needs.
- Participants will learn the proper way to load and unload many types of handguns, shotguns, and rifles.
- Participants will identify firearm malfunctions and learn basic techniques for clearing them.
- Participants will shoot rifles, shotguns, and various handguns in a live fire exercise on the range.
- Participants will learn what ‘defensive’ shooting is and how to do it.
- Participants will improve their grip, stance and trigger control.
- Participants will learn and practice the difference between point shooting and sighted fire.
- Participants will learn and practice how to use a ‘flash sight picture’.
- Participants will learn and apply the steps of a defensive holster draw.
- At the conclusion of the class, participants will have improved skill and confidence in the use of a defensive pistol.
- At the conclusion of the class, each participant will know how to make a home security and defense plan.
- At the conclusion of the class, each participant will understand the different types of personal defense ammunition and their characteristics including caliber, knockdown power, and stopping power.
Prerequisite: Holster Draw Exercise(Use promo code: "WEAR&CARRY" to receive 50% off Holster Draw Exercise Course Fee). Click Here to Register
- Heritage will provide the firearm, ammunition, and holster for the Day 1 Module.
- Day 1 Module is 8 hours of active training. A 1-hour lunch break will be provided. A refrigerator and microwave are on site for your use.
- All students MUST wear range appropriate clothing including closed-toe shoes and a sturdy belt.
Duration 8 Hours
Cost and Tickets
No ticketing info provided for this event.
Organizer info not provided for this event.
Heritage Training Center
4537 Metropolitan Court
to see other events at this venue